Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cupcake Dummies

I ordered some cupcake dummies a while ago from The Bakers Nook and finally got around to making some fake cupcakes today. Some of you might be wondering why I would want fake cupcakes...I want to have some to display on cake plates that I am going to be selling. They also just look cute to display in the kitchen! However, I am not sure that is a good idea in our house. Hudson kept asking to taste the frosting the whole time I was making them, and could not grasp the fact that they aren't real. I don't blame him, they look like they would taste delicious! Here's what you'll need to make some:

  • Cupcake dummies (I ordered mine here for .79 cents each, or you can make some be following this tutorial at Viv's Whimsy)
  • Lightweight Spackle (i bought a 32oz container and had lots leftover after frosting 6 cupcakes)
  • Frosting Tips (1M and 2D)
  • Frosting Bags or Ziploc bags (I used two 10" Wilton frosting bags)
  • Food Coloring 
  • Decorations(beads, glitter, cupcake toppers, ect.)
Here are the supplies that I used.
First place some of the spackle in a small bowl and add just a couple drops of food coloring, I used pink.
Stir in the food coloring until the color is well blended. You also want to make sure to stir both the white and the colored spackle to get ride of any air pockets. If you don't stir it before placing it into the bags it may not come out smooth. Place your tips in the bags and then fill with the spackle. (If you are using a ziploc baggie, just snip the corner off one side of the baggie and then drop your tip in.) I used two 10" bags, one for the pink spackle and one for the white. You can frost about 4-5 cupcakes with once full 10" frosting bag.
When I frosted the white cupcakes i first made a small mound on top of the cupcake dummy with the spackle.
Then I frosted on top of the mound using the frosting tip M1. I started from the outside edge and worked my way around into the middle of the cupcake. You can always scrape off the spackle and start over if you don't like the way it turns out. The spackle will start to dry out, but not that fast. Just make sure to rinse out your frosting tips and bags right after you're finished.

I frosted the pink cupcakes a little differently, I used the frosting tip 2D. To give it the look of a rose you start at the center instead of the edge, then work your way around and out. I also did not make a mound of frosting, so these are flatter in appearance.
I left my cupcakes undecorated, but you could use small beads or glitter to decorate them. You could even insert cupcake toppers or candles. I placed mine inside of some polka dot cupcake liners that i ordered from Bakers Confections. They may take a couple days to fully set.

8 comments:

  1. What a fun craft! Might need to make some for my daughter's room.

    You always have the sweetest ideas!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so amazingly real looking - great job on the cupcake dummies :)

    I would love for you to share this (and any other cupcake related posts - old or new!) at our month long cupcake party...

    http://shakentogether.blogspot.com/2011/07/were-declaring-july-cupcake-month-and.html

    Hope to see you there!
    keri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are beautiful! But I just couldn't put myself through the torture... Every time I would look at them, I'd get hungry! (Found you through LML)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long did it take to completely dry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this tutorial. I needed some cupcake dummies to show off my cupcake decorations in my etsy shop and I didn't really know how to make them. This was so easy and they turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!